We no longer have any babies in our house. Quinton has reached his terrific twos and Clara her wonderful ones. So now we have reached a whole new territory that I as a mother have no idea how to handle. Here are some of the new things my kids have learned.
Clara
1. Clara has been walking for about a month now. She is feeling very comfortable with her toddling abilities, which means she is also very comfortable with getting into the cupboards, the dishwasher, and the garbage can. Put her in another room and her lightning-quick speed will bring her back in about 3 seconds.
2. She walks the walk and now she is talking the talk. Her communication skills are increasing with words like more, up, and Ahh! She likes to remind us over and over too. Mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo-mo... up-up-up-up-up... Ahh!
3.Finally, Clara has learned how to defend herself from opposing forces, namely Quinton. She is very adept at hitting, biting, shoving, and yelling. That's our little princess.
Quinton
1. Quinton learned how to climb out of his pack and play over Christmas break, which led to climbing out of his crib, which leads now to climbing out of his toddler bed 43 times a night. My sweet son who used to be in his crib from 8 pm to 8 am and for 2-3 hours for a nap is now our alarm clock that bursts through the door at 5:30 in the morning singing, "Hi, Daddy!" Which leads Mom and Dad with little hair left to pull.
2. Yesterday Quinton started opening the fridge. We have yet to see all the possibilities that could come of this.
3. Quinton has developed quite an extensive vocabulary and we can even understand about a third of it. This is pretty cute most of the time when he holds conversations with us, but not so cute when he gets into a debate with us about needing a band-aid for his toe. I think our kids are almost as stubborn as we are.
4. Lately Quinton has sometimes found joy in hiding from his Mommy when he doesn't want to do something. All of a sudden he just disappears and is quiet long enough for panic to rise in my heart. I run around the house in a mad frenzy (or occasionally our apartment complex) screaming his name until I finally find him grinning in the closet or he pops out of seemingly nowhere. I'm sure I'll laugh in the afterlife at the scene that is played out from this talent of his.
I have been overwhelmed chasing Quinton and Clara lately. So I'm venting with a little sense of humor to relieve some of the stress. I love my children dearly and I know they won't stay toddlers forever. I will try to enjoy them for now but also hope for a time when my biggest concerns aren't naps and diaper rashes.
9 comments:
Love it while you have it. You are a great mom and you have some great kids. Whenever you feel overwhelmed just go out and see all the other horrible kids out there and you'll be so glad for yours!!
Ah this sounds all too familiar at the Welch household as well. Except Reese isn't climbing out of her crib -- so far I haven't even seen her attempt it (cross your fingers). Reese is also an excellent hider -- one day I was convinced somehow she got our the front door while I was vacuuming -- turns out she was hiding under the comforter on our bed (she will be quiet as a mouse and not move). She can open the fridge but thankfully that hasn't really been any sort of issue. So needless to say I share similar distress -- and in a few weeks even more so. Good Luck!
Oh, you made me laugh! Your kids are great and there will be a time when we miss this stage of our life. Of course you will still be young enough to enjoy what's rest of life, me on the other hand will be too old to know what comes after naps and diapers!
You are a great mom and you have way more patience than I do! Your kids are lucky to have you!
They are growing up so fast! Wow! Especially since I don't get to see them that often. I really enjoyed our visit. You guys always take such good care of us. And your kids are so darn cute. But I do understand about trying to enjoy them at this stage without pulling your hair out. It's a juggling act to be sure.
Seems you have a lot on your plate! I hate that feeling when you cant find your child. I have also had this while babysitting a few times. SO NOT FUN! Hang in there! :)
I know I can say "how cute!" because I've been through it, but I'm sure you don't think it's cute. By the way, Quinton probably won't ever stop opening the fridge--at least my boys haven't! Just keep the chocolate syrup up really high! :)
Steven used to hide from me, too--still does sometimes. Very unnerving--especially when they're really little and can go undetected for a long time.
Just cherish them while they're little! I wish we were closer so we could see you guys. :)
I just came up with the idea. I was so tired of my make-up bag so I thought what can I make and that is what I came up with. I just measured my bag and then cut the material a little bigger for seam allowance. I did each side separately and then sewed it all together!
Don't be afraid to install safety latches and move the garbage can etc. I swore I'd never do some of those things, but then realized what a stress saver they can be!
But you're a great mom - hang in there and keep smiling!
An idea to find Quinton when he hides, rather than call his name, ask him what the "cow says." Most children can't wait to perform and show you what they know making it easier to find him. Good luck!
Post a Comment